Discover a side to San Francisco you can’t see on any other tour and explore the notorious Alcatraz Island Prison – all in the space of a day! Walk in the footsteps of one of the biggest rock legends, Jimi Hendrix, take a stroll through Golden Gate Park and visit one of America’s highest security prisons, Alcatraz Island.
Highlights of the tour
There are way too many highlights of this tour to list, but here’s a few of the places you can expect to see along the way:
Visit the world-famous Alcatraz Island Prison
On the morning of your tour, you will be picked up from your hotel and taken to Pier 33 to start the Alcatraz Tour. You’ll then board the ferry over to Alcatraz Island Prison for the opportunity to experience what life was like behind bars.
During the 45-minute audio tour, you’ll be able to listen to the haunting interviews with inmates and guards who lived on Alcatraz before the prison closed in 1968. You’ll also have plenty of time to roam around and learn about the prison’s most famous residents, Al Capone and George Kelly, and the many failed attempts to escape.
But, make sure you don’t step a toe out of line!
Enjoy an afternoon exploring San Francisco
Once you’re ready to leave solitary confinement, you’ll head back to San Francisco to grab a spot of lunch (not included with your ticket) before starting the next leg of your tour. First up, you’ll visit the Palace of Fine Arts before cruising over the world-famous Golden Gate Bridge – the perfect spot for a quick snap.
From here, you’ll move onto to Golden Gate Park where you will have plenty of time to grab a few pictures next to the herd of Bison (they’re ginormous!) Once you’re done admiring the beasts, it’ll be time to head over to Jimi Hendrix’s Red House where all the magic first started.
But, it doesn’t just stop there! You’ll also be able to take a peep at the Grateful Dead House, the place where many wild parties unfolded. As the tour draws to an end, you’ll have the chance to explore San Fran’s most popular spots – including Nob Hill and Union Square – before heading back to your hotel.
During JUNE, JULY, AUGUST and SEPTEMBER the availability for this tour is extremely limited (and possibly not available forvery long)so please book early!
This ticket includes a morning trip to Alcatraz and an afternoon Bay In A Day tour.
- Tours are not suitable for the less mobile or those who have difficulty walking*
- Meals and beverages are not included in this tour; however there are stops where food and drink can be purchased at a cost.
- Shoes or boots with rubber soles and grips are highly recommended, as much of this tour is by foot. In winter we recommend you wear layered warm clothing.
- ALL children under the agesof EIGHT (8) must have a car safety seat on the Tour. It will bethe responsibility of the PARENT to bring or book this. Failure to provide a safety seat for your child will result in the forfeit of that seat and no refundcan be given. Children under the age of EIGHT (8) who are taller than 4`9” may use a seat belt and do not need a safety seat. (Local seat rental companies such as Baby’s Away may be able to assist you and prices are approximately £6 – 10 per child seat. For more information please call us.)
- From 1stAugust 2015 Alcatraz implemented a new policy whereby they now require ALL Passenger names on EACH booking. This includes children from 5-17 years of age. Please ensure you offer us this information. If your name has not been listed on the booking, you will not gain entry!
- You will need to bring a valid photo ID for EACH passenger on the Alcatraz booking. Photo ID will be checked of all adult guests, 18 years of age or older. The names on thephoto IDsmust match the names on the booking.
- The date you select when booking your ticket is the date your visit to Alcatraz will be reserved.
* Visitors unable to make the climb around Alcatraz can use SEAT (Sustainable Easy Access Transport), an electric shuttle that transports visitors from the docks to the prison. There is a regular schedule each day. Families with small children and strollers CANNOT use SEAT. Seating is available on a first come first serve basis. The following areas are wheelchair accessible: Alcatraz Dock area, Prison Building Main Floor, all Bookstores, Museum Displays and the Island Theater.
When you’ve Booked: You’ll receive an initial confirmation from us immediately. We will then send your booking details to the supplier within 48 hours to request confirmation. Once they confirm that your requested date and ticket is available, we will email your confirmation which will include the local operator’s contact details and any relevant information.